R.D. Erdkamp was a builder. His homes and buildings still stand in Exeter today. But in the years leading up to the Great Depression, people weren’t building. So he decided to take a chance selling cars. In June 1934 he opened Erdkamp Motors, selling Dodge and Plymouth vehicles.
His gamble paid off. The business grew, and in 1946, R.D.’s sons Don, Robert and Leonard joined the business and moved it to our current location-a series of buildings built by R.D. in the early 1930s-and added shop facilities.
The ’60s brought about many changes. In 1960, Chrysler Corporation decided all franchises must be housed in separate locations, so our Plymouth franchise was cancelled and the business continued selling only Dodge vehicles. In 1964, Robert and Leonard left to pursue their own business ventures. Three years later, in 1967, R.D.’s grandson, George, joined the business.
Grandfather, son and grandson worked together until 1971, when R.D. passed away. In 1977 we expanded our inventory offerings with the addition of a Chrysler franchise.
Don and George ran the business until Don’s retirement in 1982. At this time George and his wife Kathy purchased the dealership. The business remains under their ownership.
In 2004, George and Kathy’s son, Adam, joined the dealership, first as the sales and finance manager and currently as general manager. In 2014 Adam’s wife, Becky, began working as the dealership’s marketing manager.
Since the early ’90s, our brand offerings have changed several times. In 1991 we regained the Plymouth franchise; Jeep and Eagle were added in 1992. Eagle and Plymouth franchises were phased out in 1998 and 2001, respectively. In 2013, Dodge began manufacturing all trucks under the Ram nameplate.
Today, we offer a full line of new Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram vehicles, as well as factory program units and used vehicles of a variety of models.